Saturday, October 23, 2010

*Dame Icon: Barbie!*

Who has a vast, endless closet that stretches for miles (besides you) and is color coded by color season and mood?  Who changes clothes for every event , even has clothes to grocery shop in and never has to wear the same thing twice?  Who’s 51 years old and still looks and dresses absolutely gorgeous?  It’s.... 


This fashion icon has captivated small girls and women for decades even inspiring some to take drastic steps to look like her.  Most of my fondest memories as a little girl were playing with my Barbie dolls.  I had every accessory, car and house that came on the television and we could never leave Kmart, Target, Venture’s, or Grandpa’s General (both throwbacks to my humble Midwestern upbringing) without a new outfit for Barbie!  You could let your imagination run wild with Barbie you could debunk the molds of society and be whatever you wanted.  I mean she could be a Princess without having to have the pesky blood or marital affiliations, a career woman with every career imaginable.  She could be eternally single, or date Ken, or marry Ken, or hey, marry “Tina”.  She can have kids or not, drive a fancy car vacation whenever she wanted just because.  
Let’s face it, most if not all of us DAME’S probably have roots of loving fashion and clothes that can be traced back to playing with this pint size fashionista.  I remember getting in trouble for cutting up my school socks to make dresses and skirts for my Barbie.  Then I confidently professed to my mom that I was going to go to school to be a famous fashion designer and then she blatantly told me she would not spend 60,000 dollars for me to play around in clothes all day… *whomp whomp* So I studied history instead…. ANYWAY, I digress.  
Barbie has and will always be the ultimate fashion icon and DAME because she is timeless, she’s beautiful, she’s controversial, and she lives her life in a way that makes us drool!  Even if she is only an 11.133 inch doll she has a profound effect on many little girls and women.  Not that I want to quote her but it's so fitting so here goes...  
“Barbie is my fashion icon. People think I'm Paris Barbie - and it's a compliment.”  Paris Hilton

The Evolution of Barbie









Barbie Gone Wrong...



Cindy Jackson: One of many ‘human Barbie’s’
poledancing mom and daughter, Sarah Burge and Poppy Burge

Sarah Burge




Day and night: Sarah Burge of UK 'human Barbie' age 50 w/ 7 year old daughter. By
night she's Madam Pink




 Dolly Parton - Backwoods Barbie



Heidi Montag Barbie
Barbie in Fashion

Vogue Italia featured a Black Barbie photo spread in their July issue
VogueBarbie.jpg
vogue-black-barbie-auction-1


vogue-black-barbie-auction-2

vogue-black-barbie-auction-3

vogue-black-barbie-auction-5

vogue-black-barbie-auction-6




Christian Louboutin and Barbie
Photobucket

Photobucket
Photobucket

Barbie for ASOS

Barbie for 'Madmen'





No comments:

Post a Comment